Use the menu on the right to view corn utilization charts.
US Feed Grain Production 2009/10
It takes a lot of corn to make beef the single largest business in American agriculture. (National Cattlemen's Beef Association)
Corn Food Dollar
Only 19 cents of every food dollar goes to the actual cost of food inputs. The remaining 81 cents pays for transportation, labor, packaging and energy. (USDA)
Percent of Income Spent on Food
In 2008, Americans spent just 9.6 percent of their disposable income on food—the lowest percentage ever. (USDA)
US Domestic Corn Use 2010
About 75 percent of the average field corn crop is used in the food chain, to make other products or exported; the remaining 25 percent goes into your gas tank. (USDA)
In 2008, South Dakota livestock ate $313 million worth of corn, helping to generate $3.6 billion in value. (USDA)
US Corn Use for Ethanol 2010
South Dakota's ethanol plants consumed 291 million bushels of corn in 2009. Our 15 refineries have an annual production capacity of 1 billion gallons. (Renewable Fuels Association)
Enough Corn for All Users
A bushel of field corn yields 2.8 gallons of fuel ethanol and 17.5 pounds of high-protein distillers dried grain for livestock feed.